Match Report

Braves hit West Allotment for six in friendly

By Andrew McDonnell

Cameron Fenton and David Robinson both scored braces as Blyth AFC picked up their first win of pre-season after thrashing West Allotment Celtic 6-0 at Druid Park.

Robinson found the net after just three minutes and the lead was doubled after Michael Chilton tapped home five minutes later. A third followed before 20 minutes as Dan Wilson steered the ball into the bottom corner.

It was one-way traffic for the majority of the game and another flurry of goals come after the hour mark. Robinson added to his tally before Fenton scored a brace inside 10 second-half minutes.

Things could’ve been even better for the Braves, but Ben Harmison’s effort struck the post with 10 minutes remaining.

Jon McDonald and Ian Skinner made six changes to the team to the team that lost to Tow Law Town on Tuesday evening. Blyth immediately started on the front foot and found themselves ahead early on.

A through ball was latched upon by Robinson, who produced a clinical finish, dinking the ball over the approaching ‘keeper and into the net.

Bobby Taylor and Wilson both fired off-target before Blyth’s lead was doubled on eight minutes. Sean McRoberts’ low cross from the right was steered home by last season’s top-scorer, Chilton.

The visitors’ dominant start continued and they could’ve been out of sight within the first 15 minutes. Chances continued to fall Blyth’s way as Kyle Oliver, Robinson, Chilton and Wilson all went close.

However, the hosts couldn’t deny the visitors a third goal, which came after 20 minutes. McRoberts caused the full-back real problems, once again, and his low cross was slotted into the bottom corner by Wilson.

Allotment’s Jacob Forster glanced a header over the crossbar on 39 minutes, but again, the visitors continued to carve open their opponents at will and had numerous chances to inflict more damage.

Six changes were made at half-time by the Braves, with Liam Gillesphey, Adam Forster, Trialist A, Paul Antony, Cameron Fenton and Ben Harmison all coming on for the second-half.

One of those substitutes was involved straight away, just 36 seconds into the second-half. Trialist A played a low cross into the Allotment penalty area and Robinson, on the stretch, fired over the bar.

Nicky Whitelaw had his head in his hands four minutes later. The striker beat the offside trap, raced through on goal, but squandered the glorious opportunity after striking straight at Chris Bannon.

Harmison was played through by Forster and lashed into the side-netting on 55 minutes before Trialist A fired low, on the turn, and inches wide.

The Allotment resistance didn’t last much longer as Blyth soon added goals four and five. On 62 minutes, Craig McFarlane played the ball across the face of goal and captain Robinson tapped home.

Three minutes later, the ball was played through to Fenton, who burst through on goal, shrugged off his marker with ease before blasting home, into the roof of the net.

The youngster bagged his second of the game, 10 minutes later after a quick break forward. He played the ball to Trialist A, whose shot was parried back into the danger area by the ‘keeper and Fenton reacted quickly to bundle the ball home.

Harmison was involved in the final few chances of the game, striking the post and lobbing the ball over the ‘keeper and inches wide. His pass back to Fenton shortly after was chested and then struck wide by the winger.

Blyth AFC First-Half Team: Bannon, Walker, Coppen, Tumilty, McFarlane, Oliver, Robinson, Taylor, McRoberts, Chilton, Wilson

Blyth AFC Second-Half Team: Bannon, Coppen, Gillesphey, McFarlane, Forster, Trialist A, Oliver, Antony, Robinson, Fenton, B.Harmison

Goals: 1-0, 3 min, Robinson; 2-0, 8 min, Chilton; 3-0, 20 min, Wilson; 4-0, 62 min, Robinson; 5-0, 65 min, Fenton; 6-0, 75 min, Fenton

Referee: Michael Taylor

Assistants: Mark Baston and Andrew Vardy