Match Report

Braves make history after winning first FA Cup match

By Andrew McDonnell

Dylan Williamson’s second-half strike proved to be decisive as Blyth AFC made history by becoming the first team from the town to win their first Emirates FA Cup match.

Thomas Carr was sent off on 19 minutes and the visitors made the most of their man advantage as David Robinson put them ahead on 34 minutes.

Dylan Williamson doubled Blyth’s lead, four minutes after half-time, but the visitors were also reduced to 10-men themselves after Kyle Oliver saw red.

Matthew Cunliffe pulled a goal back for Glasshoughton three minutes later to make it a tense finish to the game.

However, the Braves saw the game through and will play Knaresborough Town in the Preliminary Round of the competition.

Jon McDonald and Ian Skinner made one change to the team that beat Seaham Red Star, Kyle Oliver was replaced by Matthew Tumilty in the starting line-up.

Williamson’s curling effort was kept out by the ‘keeper on two minutes and Robinson fired off target before the visitors were forced into making a substitution due to a injury.

Four minutes later, the hosts found themselves down to 10-men after Carr’s high foot collided with a Blyth player and he received a red card.

Despite having a man advantage, the hosts were making hard work for their opponents, sitting deep with every man behind the ball.

The breakthrough came on 34 minutes when Bobby Taylor’s effort was pushed wide of the goal by Mateusz Zaniewski, but Dan Wilson was first to the rebound.

The striker drilled a low ball across the six-yard box and Robinson cleverly guided the ball home – the captain writing himself into the history books.

Kyle Oliver’s effort at the back post was kept out near the line by the ‘keeper and the visitors went into half-time with a goal advantage.

Blyth started the second-half brightly and doubled their lead just four minutes after the break.

Taylor’s brilliant cross from the left evaded the ‘keeper and Williamson nodded the ball into the net at the back post.

Zaniewski kept out Craig McFarlane’s effort just after the hour mark and Adam Forster’s follow-up header went over the bar.

The visitors were reduced to 10-men on 71 minutes as Oliver received a straight red card for an off-the-ball incident.

Glasshoughton went close on two occasions before pulling a goal back just three minutes after the Braves had a man sent off.

The ball was helped inside into the path of Cunliffe, who volleyed over the ‘keeper and into the net.

Despite having the wind in their sails for the few minutes after the goal, Glasshoughton didn’t threaten Chris Bannon at all in the final stages.

McFarlane and Michael Chilton both had chances to wrap the tie up, but the visitors saw the game out to progress through to the next round.

Glasshoughton Welfare: Zaniewski, Chipasha (Hullock, 66), Cunliffe, Hunter, Walsh, Pashley, Ferguson (Dyson, 86), Carr, Horbury, Klimzak (Simpson, 54), Oldham

Subs Not Used: Howley, Morley, Wilshere

Blyth AFC: Bannon, McFarlane, Walker, Forster, Coppen, Tumilty, Taylor, Gillesphey (Oliver, 15), Wilson (Chilton, 65), Robinson, Williamson

Subs Not Used: Gladstone, Lancaster, Hudson, Day, McRoberts

Goals: 0-1, 34 min, Robinson; 0-2, 49 min, Williamson; 1-2, 74 min, Hunter

Referee:  Luke Lazenby

Assistants: Aaron Hallam and Joshua Drake

Attendance: 106

Photo: Chris Chambers/ CJC Photo